movement within my fssb

Mobius
Product: R3
S/N: 45

movement within my fssb

Post by Mobius »

Hi. I've had my FSSB installed for about a month now, and it has been awesome.

However, within the last week or so it seems that something might be loose inside. When I move the stick around the neutral position it seems that where it attaches is moving a bit. I can hear a slight "thunk" noise when I move it a certain way.

Is this something I could possibly fix myself? I removed the fssb from my mounting point and removed the Thrustmaster board but didn't see anything that looked like I could tighten it.
Dragon
Product: ---
S/N: 0

Re: movement within my fssb

Post by Dragon »

Dear Mobius

Yes, as you can see, there are no moving parts inside the R3, ;)

The movements and sound you hear, must come from the Stick, in fact from the union, between the stick grip and the metalic gray rod, also can found some movement in the thread union, just as the Stick is manufactured with a low meelting point metal, and is not as resistant as an aluminium aleation, for example.

Take your attention to this two point, and fit the screws in the lower part of the grip, and secure the thread. additionally, inside the stick,there are a screw, that normally loose its fit, and time to time is necesary fit again, in my stick I have fixed this internal screw with loctite for threads

I hope this help you, and wait your news.
Dragon
Mobius
S/N: 45

Post by Mobius »

You nailed it.
One of the two screws at the base of the handle was loose. But the real problem was the screw inside the handle which holds the mounting assembly / base /whatever to the stick itself. It was not tight. Loctite has been applied and my stick is once again perfect.

Thanks!

Edit: for future reference the screw in question can be seen at the bottom of this opened joystick:
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

JAjaja, welcome to the screw sealing team, I thing seal the screw is the first thing, you must to when the stick arrive at home.

Good picture and good work, well done.
And enjoy the system.
Dragon
coolbho3k
Product: R3L-ULTRA
S/N: 212

Post by coolbho3k »

Dragon wrote:JAjaja, welcome to the screw sealing team, I thing seal the screw is the first thing, you must to when the stick arrive at home.

Good picture and good work, well done.
And enjoy the system.
Dragon
Hi Dragon, do you recommend Loctite Blue (non-permanent) or Loctite Red (permanent)? I got the Blue stuff and I'm about to try it.
FSSB R3W #104 -> R3L Upgraded
FFSB R3L ULTRA #212
F16SGRH-AS V2
coolbho3k

Post by coolbho3k »

I just did this. Some notes:

- I noticed the same play even with the stock Warthog gimbal. I thought it was the gimbal and kept re-greasing the ball joint, but indeed it was in the stick. Thus this mod is useful even for the stock Warthog.

- The hex screws are about 2.5mm.

- This is a little obvious but I missed it. There's a small piece on the outer pinky trigger that you have to take out before the pieces of the joystick will separate.

- It is a HUGE pain to get the trigger back in. It's held in by two springs only and the springs can fly out. Try not to let it get loose in the first place.

- DO NOT OVERTORQUE THE SCREW. These screws are cheap and weak. I broke the head off the screw, just hand tightening it with not that much torque. I had to use pliers to screw it back out. Thankfully the bottom screw is the same as the screws on the top of the stick so I reassembled the stick with one of those. I'm going to look for a replacement for the broken screw at the hardware store tomorrow.

- I used Loctite Blue. But I should have used Red to make sure this damn thing never moves. I never want to open this stick again, too much of a pain.

- Test the buttons after reassembly. I was squeezing a wire on my button 5 and it was reporting as always on.
FFSB R3L ULTRA #212
F16SGRH-AS V2
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

Absolutely right Coolbho

Take care with the screews, and dont overtorque, not necesary.

I use loctite blue, the non permanent one, only a very small drop in the screw, and perfect fit. :D

All the best wishes to the RS family
Dragon
coolbho3k

Post by coolbho3k »

In case anyone has the same issue with breaking screws as me, these are M3 screws. I found a perfect replacement at the hardware store today.
FFSB R3L ULTRA #212
F16SGRH-AS V2
MBS
S/N: 58

Post by MBS »

Thank you so much!
Perfect information.
You guys rock!!!
mfrank14
S/N: 15

Post by mfrank14 »

I didn't really like the idea of tightening the screws for fear of over torquing them. I built a custom split collar and it solved this problem for me.
Please see this post at the BMS forum: http://www.bmsforum.org/forum/showthrea ... t-for-FSSB