Device to add an additional force sensing axis to the R3

DragonFireSG
Product: R3
S/N: 43

Device to add an additional force sensing axis to the R3

Post by DragonFireSG »

I wonder if it would be possible/practical to develop a hardware add-on for the FSSB R3 to add a force sensing Z axis to the unit.

This would probably take the form of a torque transducer that bolts between the R3 and the joystick base, and appears to the PC as an additional Z axis.

The Z axis is a source of control creep/interference with mechanical sticks, but will likely be less of an issue with a force stick where the user is more able to exercise fine muscle control.

This mainly for the increasing number of folk building sim pits for axis heavy space titles like Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen.
Dragon
Product: ---
S/N: 0

Re: Device to add an additional force sensing axis to the R3

Post by Dragon »

Hi DragonFire

We are working on this add-on :D , so I only can tell you that we agree with it.

Dragon
Romulus Stahl
S/N: 144

Post by Romulus Stahl »

I'd be interested in this as well. Keep us tied in.
Krel
S/N: 200

Post by Krel »

Keep in mind that for us dual stickers it would also be nice to have a spacer available to use in the other side to keep the heights the same. Pitch/roll on the right stick, yaw on pedals, and XYZ translations on the left stick.

Also, I'm curious as to how thick you think it might be? From reading elsewhere on this board it sounds like using an extension isn't really recommended.
harf4ng
S/N: 233

Post by harf4ng »

What I wonder as well is... the base is designed to allow such an added axis? Or will we have to buy a new base?
JASON_MUSCAT
S/N: 38

Post by JASON_MUSCAT »

Looking forward to this as well.

I hope it is a relatively seamless add on to the products already offered as i have just purchased.