Can an extension be used?

Lucky
Product: R3
S/N: 140

Can an extension be used?

Post by Lucky »

I have an 80mm extension that I used before, can it be used with the FSSB R3? I like the extension because it allows me to offset the stick and it also places it at the right height. I put the stick on my chair between my legs and place my legs on the flat bwse to hold it down.
Dragon
Product: ---
S/N: 0

Re: Can an extension be used?

Post by Dragon »

Hi Lucky

The R3 was designed to work without an extension bar, forces and displacements are calculated for this physic configuration, just as in the F16 original system. because our previously experience with R1 and R2, we have modify the sensiblity to a more confortable level for our customers and in the same time to a precise and accurate flight experience.

If you install an extension between the stick and the R3, you will be able to break the meassuring force sensor, if you are not carefull with the system, ofcourse if you are carefull and dont over force the R3. everything will work ok, so is your decision. but if you broken the R3 for an overforce, do not will covered by the 2 years garanty, so please be carefull when you use it with an 80mm extension, this will multiply by two the force applyed to the sensor.

Best Regards
Manuel
Lucky
S/N: 140

Post by Lucky »

Thanks for your quick response and great product. I really like it so far. I definitely do not want to damage the unit or void any warranty so I won't use it with an extension.
ogami musashi
S/N: 65

Post by ogami musashi »

The actual F-16 stick (as well as the F-22 and F-35 one) is titled forward 12°. I'd like to use a very short extension that would tilt the stick (keeping the base flat). What would be the maximum length of this extension to stay within the limits of the force sensors?
Dragon
Product: ---
S/N: 0

Post by Dragon »

Hi Ogami.

Why do not titled forward the whole system, that is, try to put something between the plat or surface where you fix the R3 and the R3 botton, in this way, you will have the 12º and do not need the extension, and the system will work safe.

You can add the extension, but in the same way you need pull with less force ;-). so if you install the extension, what you need is run the HID DEV TOOL and see what force you need to do not apply more force than the necesary to achive the maximum signal.

Regards
ogami musashi

Post by ogami musashi »

Hi Dragon,

Because the feel of pushing a complete assembly tilted is not the same as pushing a bent assembly.

If you have a bent joystick arm you still feel the base is horizontal and thus it is more intuitive to feel the force you are applying in each direction. With the base entirely tilted pulling aft doesn't produce the same feeling than pushing forward.

I also guess that bases in the actual planes are horizontal to prevent too much trigonometric functions modifying a signal that is already heavily modified by the transfert functions (input to command control).

But hey i will not run the risk of breaking my FSSB..so i guess i'll tilt the base :)
AzE
S/N: 143

Post by AzE »

Hello,

I would like to point out some issues with the force on the HOTAS Grip and the Baseplate.

WIth the normal force of the user, the lower left sidescrew of the original HOTAS grip / joystick gets loose over time. The Grip itself developes a wobbleeffect. This is very frustrating while using the FSSB R3 over time. There are some discussions over at the BMS forum on how to fix this with specially made spacers.

I had this issue on both my grips so far. To avoid this wobble you can readjust the screw everytime but in the end, it will become constantly loose at some point. With the wobble, the hole purpose of the FSSB R3 being super accurate becomes irrelevant.

A quick and dirty fix, which I found on a youtube video, is to use two lego bricks and put them on the left and right side. The software can be used to recenter the stick but I did not have to recenter it at all. I believe it can also help with preventing overforcing on the main plate. If you put too much pressure on it, I believe you can easily break the FSSB R3 so do not 100% rely on this additional "mod/fix"!!!!

Best Regards

AzE
ogami musashi

Post by ogami musashi »

Thank you for that very usefull advice!
WALLENTIN_BERGGREN
S/N: 187

Post by WALLENTIN_BERGGREN »

Oh my! Thats me in that horrible review :-)

Just wanted to say that the Fssb R3 is still 100% perfect and that the trick with the Lego bricks seems to actually work very well. I´v had it now for a good amount of time and my prior problem with the screws on the warthog holding the grip loosening is now gone.

I´m so satisfied and happy I bought the Fssb R3.

Cheers guys!