SSF firmware

Dave_Pearson
Product: R3L
S/N: 68

SSF firmware

Post by Dave_Pearson »

Hello gang,

(note: Heavily edited post; I was confusing the pinky lever with the pinky switch, after more testing, revised this initial post with updated thoughts.)

New R3 Lighting user checking in, received the unit in only a few days from order. Many thanks to the folks at RealSimulators for the amazing service and prompt replies to all of my emails. As of this writing, I'm two days into the mission.

I fly Elite:Dangerous in VR (at the moment), so after trying out the default MJF firmware, I loaded the SSF firmware. While searching for that sensibility setting that works for very fast pitch/roll ships, Precision Mode really helps settle things down when flight assist is turned off, especially for landings and other slower axis adjustment times, like aiming. A good modification would be an option to cut sensibilities in half when FSC is cut in half; this would save on wrist tendon pressure.

Joystick curves: I've read through the related responses, and while Precision Mode and BFA do assist, having programmable curves that dampen axis control close to center but allow full deflection at the end points, with lower sensibilities, is what's really needed for this particular flight simulator. My wrist is still a bit tender from hours of combat with heavier loadings. I remain hopeful that it's possible with this device, and that it gets to number one on list for implementation. RE: This particular sim does not emulate the atmospheric friction we have in other accurately modeled flight sims, it's a different kind of beast.

Button assignment for Precision Mode: I also use the NWS (pinky) button as secondary fire control, this is both good and mostly good. While I can settle the ship for aiming/firing a rail gun, which requires a 1 sec charge, I have to choose whether to just use when releasing the rail shot, or for general axis dampening. Setting a fire group that does not use the secondary (NWS in my case) helps, but requires more fire group switching and the off-chance of firing a rail inadvertantly (and the potential fines).

The above mostly just illustrates what others have requested in the Suggestions page: programmable function button assignments, including SMM.

General thoughts:

Still getting used to the change from the pots and hall sensors I've used for many (many) decades, but so far, so good; I've done a ton of successful air (space) combat already, and with the beep tone set to 90%, it's sounding to max almost constantly; really helpful to let me know with I am at max pitch or roll. The precision of this base is really off the charts.

The Firmware Loader and Device Tool are straight forward and very easy to use; I was setting alternates in the memory banks and switching in-game in no time. Being able to load different profiles on the fly makes experimentation a snap.

Having started flying Falcon 3.0 back in the mid 90s, and Falcon 4.0 though ~'07, I'm thinking it's time to reload and try with this base.

My thanks for a really superior product!

o7
Dave_Pearson
Product: R3L
S/N: 68

Re: SSF firmware

Post by Dave_Pearson »

Elite:Dangerous-specific post (for those interested in using the R3 for Elite).

More tweaking of parameters to use the R3 Lighting with E:D. Changed fire groups where I have beam lasers and plasma accelerators on trigger, and then switch between these two fire groups for use. On the warthog, using the CMS for quick fire group changes without having to move my hand. This provides the means to use the pinky button for Precision axis mode with either weapon, settling the aiming reticle during a turning firefight, but especially when flight assist is off and using PAs.

With the pressure (sensibility) feeling much higher during Precision On (really just due to needing more throw) I have the initial setting for both roll and pitch very low, and also have NASA set to 110% and 115% respectively. Getting used to the lighter touch, which is also easier on the wrist during long combat sessions.

BFA is set to high for both axis; still playing with this setting.

Being brand new to flight assist off, the biggest advantage so far, is settling the nose after a hard roll/pitch turn; over-stearing is lessened and stopping at the desired attitude (nose direction) is easier.
Dragon
Product: ---
S/N: 0

Re: SSF firmware

Post by Dragon »

Thanks for share with us your experience.

I will need read you post more in depth and I will back to you after that will be done.

AS now a days, we are to focused in the RS_HID_DEV_TOOL to integrate the news grips, we will need a few days before comeback you, and in this time, you also will can test the R3 with the Falcon BMS simulator, and maybe give us more info about the modifications, you would love have integrated in the R3.

Thanks again and ejoy the R3 for soo many yeras.
Dragon