Compatibility with Thrustmaster F-18 Grip

Nightstorm
Product: R3
S/N: 24

Compatibility with Thrustmaster F-18 Grip

Post by Nightstorm »

Good evening,

I'm using the Thrustmaster Warthog A-10 grip with the angle adapter currently on an FSSB R3. I've pre-ordered one of the new TM F-18 grips. The new grip has the same number of buttons (19) + the POV hat.

Will it be directly swappable with the A-10 grip? I'm presuming that the FSSB won't care where the buttons are physically located and will just read the buttons normally. The only possible issue I see is which one will be button 19 ;)

Thanks,
Dragon
Product: ---
S/N: 0

Re: Compatibility with Thrustmaster F-18 Grip

Post by Dragon »

Probable the F18TM grip will be compatible with our R3

For sure ;-) our F18 grip with be compatible with R1/R2/R3 and also will work alone as the F16SGRH

Anycase as I say before the most probable is that will be compatible.
Thanks
Nightstorm
S/N: 24

Post by Nightstorm »

Thank you for the reply. Yes I'm looking forward to your grips as well. Nothing wrong with having choices.
Scotty
S/N: 12

Post by Scotty »

Nope it's not compatible

Doesn't work with the HID_Dev_Tool which is a real pain as it's a function I use quite a lot

That said I'm also finding the Grip a bit flaky with TARGET (TMs own software) & I see a lot of complaints about it not working at all with TARGET, but I'm using the script editor it can be made to work but I still need to make a map of what buttons replace what on the Warthog

To make this compatible with the DCC software, I'm guessing, would involve sending a specimen grip to Real Simualtor to enable them to make the changes and release a compatible version

EDIT
The reason is that TM has updated the Firmware and you need to load the new firmware to get the grip to work reliably.

The downside is the Firmware drives the HID_Dev_Tool crazy. So the HID_Dev_Tool needs updating to be compatible with the new TM Firmware. You can have the F-18 stick or the HID_Dev_Tool as far as I'm aware but not both

I created a thread as a warning and in there I put in a DropBox link to an older version of the firmware in case anybody updated, found the HID_Dev_Tool bricked and didn't keep a copy of the older Firmware

John
Arkku
S/N: 19

Post by Arkku »

Are there any news regarding the Thrustmaster F-18 grip compatibility? In particular, I'd like to know which of the following work:
  • Controlling simulators through FSSB R3L USB connections
  • Controlling simulators through Warthog USB connection (PCB inside FSSB R3L)
  • Activating FSSB R3L functions with button combinations
  • Configuring through HID Dev Tool
Since the Thrustmaste F-18 grip has exactly the same number of buttons as the Warthog grip, I would kind of expect the basic functionality to be supported? I would be happy if simply either of the two first options worked (as I rarely use FSSB's special functions, and I could temporarily switch back to the Warthog grip to configure if there is some problem in HID Dev Tool).

The reasons I'm considering the Thrustmaster F-18 grip instead of the Real Simulator ones is not only budget, but also that it would be closer in button mapping to the Warthog grip so I could swap between the grips more easily (both in terms of bindings and muscle memory).
Arkku
S/N: 19

Post by Arkku »

Well, replying to myself about the Thrustmaster F-18 grip:

It works just fine with HID Dev Tool and the FSSB R3L USB connection. I don't have the Warthog PCB installed inside the FSSB currently, so didn't test that.