FSSB R3 firmware upgrade when used with F16sgrh

Dragon
Product: ---
S/N: 0

FSSB R3 firmware upgrade when used with F16sgrh

Post by Dragon »

As you alredy know, the F16sgrh work with all the news firmwares as normal. But now there are a new firmware for the R3 and R3L its the MJF_FW_F16_SG and the number 1 for R3 and number 2 for R3L
In this firmware, dont exist the SMM buttons, you configure and control the whole 8 slots with the rotary switch. Philippe a French owner, has take notice about now its not possible adjust in flight the CERO position in the R3 and R3L, so we have add the next feature in the firmwares you can download here.

When you press in the F16SGRH the next combo "Trigger 1" + "NWS center" you launch the Cero adjust as usually. we have choose this combo, just as look really dificul you press both buttons at time for accident.

http://www.realsimulator.com/download/MJF_FW_F16_SG.rar

rename the original files and copy over tis news one.

Enjoy
markturner
Product: R3
S/N: 3

Re: FSSB R3 firmware upgrade when used with F16sgrh

Post by markturner »

Hi Dragon, I am unable to update my firmware using this new file. When I follow the prompts in the DCC v1.06 tool, from the FSSB R3 FWU tab, I locate the new file after disconnecting my R3 ( the "R3 disconnected" text goes green to confirm it was connected and is now disconnected)

It says in flashing red "connect your R3", which I do, it makes the handshake bleep noise and yet nothing happens, no progress bar.....

Any ideas?

I have not yet been able to try installing the firmware to my new F16 SGRH as I needed to buy a dongle USB 4.0 adapter for my PC, which has not arrived yet.....

So a bit of a frustrating time for me here.....

PS: Can you tell me when the handshake bleep should be heard please? I have noticed my R3 sometimes randomly emits the noise.....
Shark

Post by Shark »

Hi Mark,

I think the problem is not the firmware, the problem are the USB ports of your computer, I remember you have already had this same problems before becasue your system don't detect well the bootload time to connect with the R3 bootloader, although some time you have achieved it. I only can suggest you changing the usb port, preferably to an USB 2.0 and I hope that in one of the attempts the computer attaches the R3 bootloader

About upgrade the F16SGRH when you receive the dongle, it is not necessary, your grip has installed the last firmware, the same we include in the RS_TOOLS installation.

Best regards

Shark
markturner

Post by markturner »

Hi Shark, my PC is a new different one now from when I had the previous issues...and last week, I had the R3 working well and managed to install the new firmware....so I don't think that this is the issue. I only had this problem when I attempted to change the firmware. I guess it should be fine to run the R3 without changing the firmware if I cant resolve this?

I can try connecting the USB to another port, you say it needs to be USB 2, not USB 3?

Can you comment on my query regarding the "Bleep" noise? It makes this when you first plug in the USB, is that the only time it should make that noise?

Finally, regarding the F16 SGRH - so I don't need to install any firmware, just pair it with my new bluetooth dongle, correct? Apart from that it should be simply plug in and configure the button assignments ?

Thanks!
Shark

Post by Shark »

Hi Mark,

Although the R3 works with USB 2.0 and 3.0 I suggest you use an USB 2.0 connection to upgrade, time to detect the bootloader is less with the USB 3.0. And your problem is that the Bootloader device is not fully installed in your computer.

You need install correctly the R3 bootloader, for that locate an USB 2.0 port in your mother board and connect the R3 there. If you made it some days ago, please repeat the process.

The file with the firmware is not the problem, the DCC program need first detect the bootloader to work with the file. If you don't believe me, please, repeat the process with the file that worked.

Best regards,

Shark
markturner

Post by markturner »

Hi Shark, OK, I have done that....

first time around right after I installed the USB 4.0 dongle and without re starting my machine, when I ran the "detect bluetooth devices" instruction from the windows control panel, it showed the F16 SGRH bootloader in the devices available, so I highlighted it and clicked pair device, but nothing happened.

So I thought maybe I should restart my machine ....which I did. now when I search for bluetooth devices, it does not find the bootloader.

Also, when I restarted the machine, I got no handshake bleep from the R3 and no lights on the grip. So I unplugged it and plugged back in, the bleep happened and the middle red LED lit up.... So I ran the detect devices procedure again and still it wont find the bootloader.

What is strange is that the first time, when it did find the bootloader, it also found some other devices I was not interested in pairing, but now, it wont find anything.....have checked all settings in the control panel, discover-able is on, everything is on.....

Why is this stuff always so difficult....? I swear I spend 80% of my time in front of my PC trying to make things work or install correctly and only about 20% actually using it......and I am not a complete idiot at this stuff, I have built several of my own PC's and am fairly confident around them.

Please can you give me a from the beginning step by step on this?

And can you let me know if the R3 should come on automatically when I start my machine if its plugged in? And also answer my question regarding the bleep sound?

As I am starting to wonder if there might not be something wrong with the R3 which the F16 SGRH is plugged into, which may be affecting why I can detect it and this may be tied up with the fact it was not on when I re started and the random bleep sounds.....

Edit: I just tried plugging the grip itself into another USB port and trying to detect it again, using the lead you supplied with the grip...it still does not get found...... :( :( :(
Shark

Post by Shark »

Hi Mark,

You must go step by step, you have now two problems: you can not update the R3 and now you have problems with the F16SGRH, it is in bootlader.

a) About the R3, you must try and follow the indications I gave you in my previous email. The R3 sound depend of your configuration, normally it sounds when on, and also sound in function of warning sound level adjust setting, so you must check it. .... and of course, to sound is necessary the sound setting is ON. You can check all these parameters with the RS_HID_DEV_TOOL.

b) About the F16SGRH I don't know if you launched the sequence accidentally or not, but now it is necessary upgrade it to exit of that state. I don't know what dongle brand you bought, but not all dongles works fine. I suggest to use the SVEON SCT400, with other modes we had problems, as for example after power on the computer was necessary unplug and plug the dongle for attach devices. The sveon model is cheap and works fine. I have write a comment about in the FAQs (in the requirement post). About your request of step by step, please download this pdf file, it is the chapter for the update of user guide, I hope it helps you and if you want to add sugestions or correct anything, please send me them.

Best regards,

Shark

Edited 22/07/19: deleted link to firmware upgrade because there is a new post with link to the User Guide
Last edited by Shark on Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
markturner

Post by markturner »

Hi Shark, I understood that the new firmware for the R3 was purely a version that added some differing button programming options as per a user request? And not a requirement for the R3 to work properly with the new F16 SGRH grip ? As such, it should not matter to the functionality of the R3 if I do not upgrade the firmware, as the version I was using and installed last week, seemed to be working just fine. Or have I misunderstood that? As I have not managed to upgrade, I presume the previous firmware is still installed and operational?

So how can I check the R3 is working correctly please ? That will at least narrow it down to the issue of the bootloader. I can try buying a different dongle, I will get the one you recommended. This will obviously take a few days, so lets try and get to the bottom of the R3 issue meantime.

Edit: I just ordered the dongle you mentioned, it does seem to be a USB 3 one though....is that OK? The one I purchased was Vitalitim bluetooth 4.0 low energy dongle as recommended. The one you recommended only seemed to be available from amazon and may take until the 29th to be delivered unfortunately.

Rgds, Mark
markturner

Post by markturner »

I just tried to reload the old firmware version MJF_1_06_1.FSSB_R3

When I ran the DCC v1.06 tool, the first box saying "disconnect your R3" was green - But so also were the next 2 boxes ( R3 Disconnected & HOTAS disconnected) "select firmware to update" was red and flashing......I unplugged the R3, I selected the firmware and pressed load.

"Connect your R3" flashed in red as well as instructions appeared in the text box.

I connected the R3 USB lead again. It bleeped, but nothing else happened, no progress bar, nothing......

What do you think is going on here? I am thinking I may need to send the R3 back to you.....
markturner

Post by markturner »

Separately, I looked at the manual page download you sent and tried to follow the instructions...first different thing I noticed was that when I plugged in the grip, the centre red LED is lit. Is this correct ? From the manual, it sounds as though all LEDS should be lit when its plugged in and only the single centre one lit when the trigger, centre DMS & TMS sequence is pressed.

When I press that sequence, nothing happens, the centre LED stays lit. Would this indicate that it is somehow "stuck" in the process of updating the firmware? Is there an easy way to un stick it?

Apart from that the linked instructions appear clear, concise and well translated, , my only issue is that what is supposed too happen, does not.... !

In device manager, I have 4 "unknown devices" shown. Also, it may be relevant, in my "View devices" window in control panel, my computer is shown and when I click on the icon, it says "Needs troubleshooting" and "Driver is unavailable"