Disconnection

Supmua
Product: R3L
S/N: 55

Re: Disconnection

Post by Supmua »

ogami musashi wrote:
Supmua wrote:Ok, the disconnection issue seems more prevalent if I leave the Dev Tool app open. If I don't have that app loaded, then I usually have no issues, mostly playing DCS World right now.

Other than the BT issues, this is probably the best stick that I've tried as it packed with features compared to competitions. It also seems a much better fit for the Virpil WarBRD base compared to the Thrustmaster one, as it is a lot lighter.

Going to try a few bluetooth dongles, including the ASUS BT-400 mentioned in another thread to see how it goes.
Do you use the F-16SG axes?
Only use the Z axis for yaw when I connect it to Virpil (still prefer the physical rudder), I use Virpil base's X and Y axis input because it has less latency.
ogami musashi
Product: R3
S/N: 65

Post by ogami musashi »

Supmua wrote:
ogami musashi wrote:
Supmua wrote:Ok, the disconnection issue seems more prevalent if I leave the Dev Tool app open. If I don't have that app loaded, then I usually have no issues, mostly playing DCS World right now.

Other than the BT issues, this is probably the best stick that I've tried as it packed with features compared to competitions. It also seems a much better fit for the Virpil WarBRD base compared to the Thrustmaster one, as it is a lot lighter.

Going to try a few bluetooth dongles, including the ASUS BT-400 mentioned in another thread to see how it goes.
Do you use the F-16SG axes?
Only use the Z axis for yaw when I connect it to Virpil (still prefer the physical rudder), I use Virpil base's X and Y axis input because it has less latency.
Like me on the warthog base. Do you have induced yaw when you use roll?
Supmua

Post by Supmua »

As a matter of fact, I do. If the roll axis is moved toward the extreme it does affect the Z axis, I compensate by setting deadzone and S-curve in DCS. The sensitivity can probably be toned down by Realsim, or may be it is an unintentional bug? My rudder pedal is much more accurate, so I use that in my game although I did set this up just in case.
ogami musashi

Post by ogami musashi »

Supmua wrote:As a matter of fact, I do. If the roll axis is moved toward the extreme it does affect the Z axis, I compensate by setting deadzone and S-curve in DCS. The sensitivity can probably be toned down by Realsim, or may be it is an unintentional bug? My rudder pedal is much more accurate, so I use that in my game although I did set this up just in case.
Same here, but my last pairing almost cured that.
I also curious about the latency you report. Did you have time to see if, like me, when you move the stick quickly, the axes response goes in the opposite direction for a split second before going in the correct one?
Supmua

Post by Supmua »

ogami musashi wrote:
Supmua wrote:As a matter of fact, I do. If the roll axis is moved toward the extreme it does affect the Z axis, I compensate by setting deadzone and S-curve in DCS. The sensitivity can probably be toned down by Realsim, or may be it is an unintentional bug? My rudder pedal is much more accurate, so I use that in my game although I did set this up just in case.
I also curious about the latency you report. Did you have time to see if, like me, when you move the stick quickly, the axes response goes in the opposite direction for a split second before going in the correct one?
No, I don't have the axis going into opposite direction. I'd say it's perfectly usable at least with DCS (for X and Y axes that is). In my testing, I only notice minimal lag when switching between bluetooth and gimbal back to back during mid flight. It is not any more than what I see with bluetooth controllers in game consoles. Once you dial in deadzones and curves in DCS settings, the difference is even tougher to spot.
ogami musashi

Post by ogami musashi »

Supmua wrote:
ogami musashi wrote:
No, I don't have the axis going into opposite direction. I'd say it's perfectly usable at least with DCS (for X and Y axes that is). In my testing, I only notice minimal lag when switching between bluetooth and gimbal back to back during mid flight. It is not any more than what I see with bluetooth controllers in game consoles. Once you dial in deadzones and curves in DCS settings, the difference is even tougher to spot.
Then I need to find why I have this behavior. It does that already in Rs_tools but on the contrary to you I do not have lag (it is just that it goes into the opposite direction for a split second).
Supmua

Post by Supmua »

Alright, I believe I found a winner here. Tested 2 more bluetooth dongles on two different PCs--ASUS ROG-Strix Gaming 390-E and ASROCK Faltal1ty z270 ITX/ac. I uninstalled and disabled MB's bluetooh first and foremost. Both dongles are plug and play, although the ASUS one has newer driver that you can download.

Note that I tried Techkey bluetooth dongle prior to this, and it's no good (worse than ASUS).

1. ASUS BT-400: Paired quickly but when open RS Dev app would exhibit frequent disconnection. It would reconnect again by itself within 1-2 sec which is different from my MB bluetooth which would stay frozen, but this is still unacceptable to me since I want constant connection.

2. CSR 4.0: Paired quickly and the connection stayed rock solid. I could leave the RS Dev app open and the stick would not lose connection, reproducible results are seen on both tested PCs. This is the winner for me, and I believe it will be a good pick for US customers. It's fairly cheap also at $10.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JL ... UTF8&psc=1

I'm not sure if the CSR 4.0 is class 1 or 2 but the range is 20m on product description (most dongles including the ASUS are advertised for 10m range).
Supmua

Post by Supmua »

More update.

I left the RS Dev app while doing different things, web surfing, etc. on the PC. Played DCS for an hour with the RS Dev app still running in the background plus another 3rd party app which I used for macro inputs (RS Mapper), then just left the computer be for another hour, when I came back to check the connection still remained perfect. Flying via built-in sensors is also pretty good, I used deadzones 3 and curve of 10% with DCS, I had the stick on my Virpil WarBRD but did not use that base for anything other than to support the stick.

So, the CSR 4.0 is definitely the right dongle for my home so far. I'm waiting for a second one to come in and will also put it through the tests to see if I can get similar results.

EDIT: the 2nd CSR also works flawlessly.