Locking collar issue with extension

markturner
Product: R3
S/N: 3

Locking collar issue with extension

Post by markturner »

Hi RS guys, hope you are well !

As the weight of the new FA18 grip is so much lighter than the TM version, I am finding I need to use lighter springs and an extension to the Warthog base, from Sahaj https://warthog-extensions-by-sahaj.com ... xtensions/

However, the knurled locking collar is approx 4 5mm deeper ( longer) than the TM one and so when done up, it does not secure the grip tightly. Of course, this is not a fault , but as most extensions are made for the warthog, it is an issue if you want to use an extension or certainly, these extensions....

Is there anything that could be done about this ? I can't think of anything easy.....a new knurled collar would be expensive to make as a one off ....or would it?

Kind regards,
markturner

Re: Locking collar issue with extension

Post by markturner »

can someone reply to me please?
RogueSqdn
Product: R3L-ULTRA
S/N: 20

Post by RogueSqdn »

I'd suggest a Virpil extension. I use the 200mm extension and it has no issue holding on to either of my RS grips. You can use the extension with a TM base, too, there's nothing that would prevent that.
Jared
Stephen_Lynch
Product: R3L
S/N: 131

Post by Stephen_Lynch »

I contacted Sahaj with photographs of the collar dimensions as measured on my digital callipers - my issue was that the OD of the extension was greater than the ID of the collar. Sahaj agreed to make a specific extension to the new dimensions at a reasonable extra price, final price I think was 78 Euros for the 10 cm black extension. Yet to arrive but I am pretty confident

Based on other feedback from ED Forums also ordered up the Virpli extension at 48 Euros I think. Has not arrived

Connected to the FSSB3 Lightning and it so really impressive for flying jets especially Fly By Wire. So impressed I pre ordered the F16 Collectors Edition grip which has the BLE module and independent axis measurements to use for propeller planes in Il2
markturner

Post by markturner »

Hi Stephen, yes, I am beginning to think that getting something machined or altered to fit is the only way.....

Glad you like yours on the lightening base, I wanted mine to be as like the real jet as possible, so this wont work for me, plus its another 500 euros for another base ( I use the R3 for my Viper grip, which is mounted to the side for when I fly that...)
Stephen_Lynch

Post by Stephen_Lynch »

Today the modified extension from Sahaj arrived, turned down in the thread area so that the sleeve collar could go over the sleeve. Fits perfectly.

I did purchase a 100mm Virpil extension, and this had a similar issue that the sleeve collar would not extend down as the extension tube OD was too big. The tread would engage and could have used a locking screw in the sleeve collar as it is drilled and tapped for one, but did not want to go so drastic
markturner

Post by markturner »

Mine has arrived, did yours come with another extender wires for the 5 pin? As mine did not....I have not fitted it yet or changed grips, how did you deal with the connection extension ? I find it difficult , if not impossible to get the connector on with the TM version, the RS version seems a little longer, so I guess will be even more tricky.....
Stephen_Lynch

Post by Stephen_Lynch »

A cable was included, it is slightly longer than the extension piece. I find it easier to install the cable in the base first then hold the upper connector with long nose pliers and then install the grip onto the upper connector carefully before screwing down. I am sure you can raise the cable issue and get one posted out. I will say the extension in machined aluminium looks fantastic