What are your settings for DCS f16?

Lionel_Oger
Product: R3L
S/N: 413

What are your settings for DCS f16?

Post by Lionel_Oger »

Hi guys!

Together with a friend that was an F16 pilot at the Belgian AF, we both fly the viper with FSSB R3 Lightning.
We would like to mimic as much as possible the forces and sensitivity of the real stick, mostelly based on his muscle memory since those force and curve details are too geeky to be in the F16 flight manual (but in tech manual maybe?).
Stock settings feels a bit too strong and in DCS, leaving the curves linear makes you feel you are flying a B747 not a nimble f16...
We are adding more and more negative curve and axis saturation but it becomes kinda wieird..

do you guys have somewhat correct settings value that will be correct for the Jet?

Sorry if it's been debated already...

BR

Lio
Gregory_Karydis
S/N: 602

Re: What are your settings for DCS f16?

Post by Gregory_Karydis »

Hi Lionel, did you find any realistic settings?
jstnj
S/N: 600

Post by jstnj »

unverified real stick force requirements
Dragon
Product: ---
S/N: 0

Post by Dragon »

Morning.

Please what are the pitch and roll forces has you set in the R3l.
In the same way, adjust the NASA compensation in order to feel same forces to achive full left and full right roll. and remember "feel" just as your muscles involved for roll left and right are fully different.

About the real forces, the real flight stick is like a rock, you can move as the R3L about 1/2 inch, but when you apply the full force about 24 pound (13pounds in our case), when some F18 pilot arrive at our company, and flow years ago a F16 in some USA AB, always say, "hi, this grips is to heavy, I remenber the real is softer" and we now a days, dont discuss with they, we enter in the laboratory, got a real F16 flight system sensor and grip and give it then, and the discusion finish ;-) is different when you are in the plane fixed to you seat. Once tehy got the real one and try to move it, they say "humm but I remember...."

Comebacking to your question, our R3L is about half hard than the professional version, just as is designed for destop use, and the norma adjust is set it in 4 lb for roll and about 5 for pitch, but for A/A is better have a slot memory configured with a softer configuration, and for A/G is better a harder configuration.

In the same way for Air Refuel, is better set hard you less stable axis, if you put to much roll set harder the roll if you put to much pitch adjust harder your pitch.

About curves, the real plane change the flight law ecuations in real life for different situation, I dont know if DCS has acess to real F16 flight laws , I hope dont, and for security reason, I hope the DCS flight laws will be absolutely imaginary and different to real life. Imagine if the missile fligh law, the combat IR and radar firm, etc in DCS would be real or very close to real,these datas are absolutely secret, is the different between dead or live for our pilots, have a ralistic cockpit, a realistic flight stick etc It does not compromise the security of our army, even tehy show this and let you do pictures in every airshow, but making public the speed, distance, maneuverability, etc. of both vehicles and weapons, would seriously compromise the security of our countries. So when you friend will fly the DCS and will dont feel the real feeling, undertand is because thanks God DCS dont have the real flight law, and hope never will have ;-)
Gregory_Karydis
S/N: 602

Post by Gregory_Karydis »

this is what i use now, but i only have the FSSB for like 2 days.
what is the realistic setting for the RCA? ON or OFF?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dragon
Product: ---
S/N: 0

Post by Dragon »

Hi Gregory.

All the center column fighters, just because when they pull up and place the center colum just in the middle, it is exactly like they would have the roll control assistance in "ON". In the "side stick" this must be done by the flight control system, and how the real flight computer work, must be secret.

Test both, On and Off, and after tha, feel how the fighter fligh in high G maneouvers, think about what is better and what must have the real plane.

About your settings, for me 8,5 in pitch is to high.
About roll, please with the help of some friend, move roll left and right about half scale, then repeat but without see the screen, only try to do the same force left and right, your friend will told you once you finish the movement if you have done the same force roll left and right, and adjust NASA roll until you get the same forces when your brain feel has been apply the same force. the muscles used for roll left are normally biggers than for roll right, and must be compensated in the system, for this you use the angle adjust and the NASA roll sensibility.

You have the angle adjust in "0", please adjust the angle, until you will can move pitch up and down following the center line, in a very easy way. The perfect angle will be affected by your phisonomy and the position of the Flight stick in the table or chair. so every body must adjust its better angle

Once you will adjust the angle and the NASA to your best feeling, you will can add some BFA if you need, in our case half use OFF and half use Medium

Cheers