Has anyone tested the Virpil Alpha grip with the FSSB-R3?

Forgotten Spectrum
Product: R3
S/N: 111

Has anyone tested the Virpil Alpha grip with the FSSB-R3?

Post by Forgotten Spectrum »

I'm sure this is a long shot, but I was simply wondering if anyone has tested the Virpil Alpha grip with the FSSB-R3? The Alpha is a beautiful grip, and it would be great if the FSSB-R3 supported it, as it's hard to go back to conventional bases after experiencing force sensing. I know that at least one previous grip is supported by the FSSB-R3, although it's probably wishful thinking that the Alpha would work. However, I'd love to hear otherwise. Thanks to any who may respond.
Shark
Product: ---
S/N: 0

Re: Has anyone tested the Virpil Alpha grip with the FSSB-R3?

Post by Shark »

Hi Forgotten,

We don't have this grip to test it, but after reading its technical characteristics I can assure you that it is not compatible with the actual firmwares of FSSB-R3, it has 3 analog axes.

It should also be verified that the grip has the same connector and electrical connections than the FSSB-R3

Best regards.

Shark
Michael_Malone
Product: R3L
S/N: 403

Post by Michael_Malone »

Shark , Forgotten Spectrum, et al.,

I can confirm that the VirPil Constellation Alpha grips physically mate perfectly with the FSSB-R3L bases, and the connectors match as well. However, the firmware and software are in fact, incompatible. The RS software shows all sorts of erroneous button pushes when nothing is being pressed, and the third axis is non-functional.

Shark, if you or any of the other folks at RealSimulator are willing to do the work, I would be willing to ship one of my Alphas to you as a test article to get the firmware updated properly. The Alpha is a great grip, and the FSSBs are great bases. Let's match them in Heaven, shall we?

Thank you,

Foghorn
Dragon
Product: ---
S/N: 0

Post by Dragon »

Dear Michael

Our R3L Is fully compatible with the chip integrated in the old days TM , in fact we have done our grips just in the same way, fully compatible with this chip, (and everybody can buy and use this chips and do fully compatible parts or simulate by firmware), even when we can do it in a proprietary or different way and do it only compatible with our bases, but not the idea. In fact our idea was, do our grips fully compatible by the hardware connection, and fully new in the BLE connection, so for this reason, all our clients with a F18 grip or F16 collection edition or Ant slip have both functionalities, is fully compatible with TM if they use the connector, and all the new features as the YAW axis is send by the BLE connection.

If VIrpil has do his grips incompatible with TM, would be for some reason, and we must not do reverse engineering to resolve it, for several reason, and the most important is for respect to this company, and take in count that also must be illegal. what everybody can do in his home and nothing happen, is a illegal action if is done by a company to obtain profit. So in some or other way we have our hands tied.

But they as owners of the grip firmware, can do a version fully compatible with TM and will work also in our bases. in a very easy way.

MANY THANKS
Dennis_J
Product: R3L-ULTRA
S/N: 43

Post by Dennis_J »

It's a shame that TM only has 23 buttons output, while most of 4-way buttons are now 5-way.