Disable SMM

furrycat
Product: R3
S/N: 179

Disable SMM

Post by furrycat »

An unusual request, I imagine, but would it be possible to have an option to disable SMM altogether?

I'll explain why I ask.

Pretty much the only game I play these days is Elite Dangerous and I have a reasonably complex TARGET and FreePIE setup with every button on the throttle and stick mapped to at least one thing. I bought the FSSB and swapped in the Warthog controller board so I could continue using that setup.

I tried various firmwares as I was (and still am, in fairness) getting used to using the stick. At first I found it very twitchy around the centre point in the game so I tried the aerobatic firmware with its breakout force option. I had to stop using that almost immediately because my setup requires me to be able to hold the paddle down and the firmware overrides it so the switch is not registered in the game as being held. Next I went for the spacefighter firmware, which I'm still using.

I have pedals for yaw and I use TARGET to set a response curve on the stick so I don't need any of the sensitivity adjustments or mode changes provided by SMM. I did try the FSC control and found that unsatisfactory compared to using a TARGET profile because I need to be able to reach maximum deflection which can't be achieved by simply dampening the response.

In addition I use both CMM and paddle+pinky in the game, which means whichever one I choose for SMM I run the risk of accidentally switching the stick to menu mode and inadvertently changing something I don't want to change, unless I activate the beep sound to warn me, which soon gets annoying.

Based on what I've read on this forum I expect I will want to switch to the NASA firmware when it's released, as my TARGET profile currently has separate left/right and up/down curves with a small deadzone.
Dragon
Product: ---
S/N: 0

Re: Disable SMM

Post by Dragon »

Aghhhhh :D to much dense for my english skill :lol:

I will read for a few times more your post, and I will back tomorrow to you, but as first idea, I feel your proposal very smart. not only for you, even for other pilots, who will have the full control of the FSSB R3 and they are happy with a medium adjust and they do not want change in fly the settings. so for this kind of pilots would be great have an option in the RS_HID_DEV_TOOl to disable the SMM button set.

About the NASA hope before summer release the firmware.

OK, tomorrow will be in touch again ;-)

In the meanwhile, please take a look to the BMS firmware, at this moment is the most close to do not have te SMM active, just as to launch the SMM in BMS is necesary press paddle and pinky in a secuence, and all the buttons are available for the simulator. with the only advertence of: the pinky is active low instead active high, that is necessary to have the pinky available for the simulator. and also hve it ready for the SMM.

if you press the pinky and release it in less than a 0,5 seconds, pinky send a DX button signal as normal.
if you press the pinky button hold it for more than 0,5 seconds and then rep¡lease it, no DX signal is send
If you press the pinky hold it and then press paddle and hold paddle, later release paddle and finally release pinky you enter in SMM

In this way, in BMS firmware the pilots can have access to the full set of buttons and in the same time have access to the SMM if they need it.
furrycat
S/N: 179

Post by furrycat »

Dragon wrote:Aghhhhh :D to much dense for my english skill :lol:
Sorry about that. If you need me to clarify anything I will be happy to do so. However I can see from your reply that you have understood what I'm asking! I'll keep an eye out for the NASA firmware.

Based on what you've said the BMS firmware wouldn't work for me. I use both paddle and pinky in the game, individually and together, and as both holds and presses.
WALLENTIN_BERGGREN
S/N: 187

Post by WALLENTIN_BERGGREN »

Hello again!

I am using the mjf firmware and with dx-buttons off in the config, Falcons dx-shift layers are functioning as it should. So is the only difference between mjf and Bms firms the way to activate the smm?

Another question while I'm at it:
I see offcenter values in X and Y and at first I thought it was as tiny offcenter that windows--dcs could detect it, but infact it is offcenter in dcs as much so I need to recenter using smm - trigger 3 Times over 3 days. I NEED deadzones to not get input to the sim. Is this common behavior of the sensors? Is there a way to recenter without smm? I would use a firm without the smm if that is possible or if sensors didnt drift.

Cheers!

Wallentin
Dragon
Product: ---
S/N: 0

Post by Dragon »

Hi Wallentin

a) BMS firmware have the special SMM launch and also only have a HID device, so at this time is the most close to your necessities.

b) A small but to small ofcenter value can be possible if you are in a high sensibility ranges. This can make necesary your related reset zero, or a small dead zone.

About the SMM, we have take your suggestion in the wish list, and will be included as option in the RS HID DEV TOOL.

Have a great weekend.
Dragon