Advice for a noob new owner

Zenith
Product: R3
S/N: 108

Advice for a noob new owner

Post by Zenith »

I have taken the plunge and ordered one of these FSSB R3 mods however I was hoping I could get some questions answered as my email to the sales people was not answered.

1. If I use the mod as an upgrade and do not plug in the warthog’s original electronic board then the joystick will now function independently of the warthog throttle and the TARGET software.. How
would I go about programming functions to the various buttons on the joystick ? Would this just be done via directx or is there a dedicated software / driver program that can do this ?

2. If I used the FSSB R3 mod in addition to the warthog’s electronic board then am I correct in assuming that my warthog would now be able to load up a TARGET profile and still be able to use the FSSB R3's on the fly settings at the same time or when the FSSB R3 mod and the original warthog electronic board are installed and plugged in can I only use one or the other when in a game ?

I don't receive the FSSB until tomorrow according to tracking so is there any advice and software or new firmware or advice in general for using the FSSB R3 with DCS and Falcon BMS

Thanks for any help
Zenith

Re: Advice for a noob new owner

Post by Zenith »

Hmm was really hoping that I would have had a reply to my questions / concerns from the real simulator people at the very least, have to say I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of response considering the cost of this mod. Can only hope that plenty of instructions come with the FSSB when its delivered.
igot2b
S/N: 77

Post by igot2b »

Hey Zenith ;)

I'm also a noob so don't take this as an official statement ;) Regarding the response I guess there are a lot of FSSB R3 owners that are working during the week and only get to play/surf during the weekends. Patience is an important skill in this forum I guess :)

I'll try answering your questions:
1. I believe that you can't use the TARGET software if you don't plugin the original board. Programming functions of the FSSB R3 must be done by the realsimulator folks as far as I can tell. There is a GUI for configuring the FSSB R3 but I believe that you're not able to change something that's not supported by the FSSB R3. However, you can go ahead and discuss new features you'd like to see, Dragon will recognize your wishes :)
2. I never tried plugging in both electronic boards at the same time. However you will get some DirectX Devices: Original Warthog device, FSSB R3 - 3 devices. If the game you're playing doesn't support multiple inputs on a single action you will not be able to use them both at the same time. I however never used any TARGET features and am therefore overly satisfied with the FSSB R3's possibilities.

You can download the firmware, the flash tool and the gui tool from the forums/the homepage. For older games that only recognize 1 DX input (like Battlefield 1942) I highly recommend vJoy. This tool helps aggregating different axis (FSSB R3, Throttle, Pedals, ...) on one new single joystick. This allows you to play your older games with your high end peripherals.

Cheers,
igot2b
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Thanks for the reply igot2b

Very much appreciated. I received my RSSB R3 today and have completed the full installation. I am a bit confused with regards to how the program for the configuration works.

How do I go about actually calibrating or is this not required now and if I set up different settings in the HID device tool how do I access them when I press the paddle & pinkie the mod just bleeps until I press the paddle & pinkie again.

Is there any info with regards to how the shift states work. There really should be better instructions supplied to get new people started.

Many thanks

Z
igot2b

Post by igot2b »

Well welcome to the family then ;)

First of all you don't need to do anything with the joystick tool in windows.

Also please make sure you understand everything in this video about the special modes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1kL2K58qrA I think your questions could be answered there. Also take a look at all the pictures on the official fssb r3 site: http://www.realsimulator.com/html/fssb_r3_warthog.html I believe that all the functions are described there. It will take some time to understand but combined with the videos on the official youtube channel you should be able to work it out yourself :)

Cheers,
igot2b
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Thanks man

I must of had some kind of blindspot with regards to the info vids and pic there.. lol feeling a bit stupid :oops:

Another question when you run the HID Device tool there are 4 slots which I assume are there for personal custom profiles. How do you enter data into those slots and recall it. When I attempt to type in numerical values the numbers disappear.

Many thanks.. and have to say after doing a lot of flying last night in DCS A-10c am loving the accuracy of the FSSB though I think I need to fine tune it to suit.

Cheers

Z
igot2b

Post by igot2b »

Hey Z,

no need to feel stupid at all. This device takes some time to fully understand :)

Regarding the memory slots please take a look at the following image explaining how to load and save presets: http://www.realsimulator.com/Stick_1.02.0_Pag5-CMS.jpg

You can either modify the different sensitivity settings with the special modes and then save the preset to a memory slot or you can use the arrows in the HID Tool to adjust the values. I believe that only certain values are allowed and therefore must be set via the arrows right in the box. After that you can hit the save button on the profile you want to save your settings to. Then you can either use the HID Tool or the above linked special mode to load your settings.

Cheers,
igot2b
Dragon
Product: ---
S/N: 0

Post by Dragon »

Zenith. sorry if you had feel alone, you are right.

Too much work, writing the firmware/software to improve the FUSBA and RUSBA, and I have been a little bit out of the R3 forum.

Thanks a lot Igot2b for help to Zenith, and use the forum in the best possible way. In other hand, I have near to finish the SSF_FW_1_00_0 and the associated HID Dev tool so your great firmware will be release next week (I hope).

About the question of Zenith, I dont would reply better. so thanks a lot.

All the best
Dragon
harf4ng
S/N: 233

Post by harf4ng »

Sorry to undig an old post, but about the R3 not working with TARGET if you do not install the original warthog motherboard, that is true, but you have a workaround, and it is called JoystickGremlin:
http://whitemagic.github.io/JoystickGremlin/

This software may help you program any stick, even non thrustmaster ones, like you would do on TARGET, either with a GUI, or with python if you know how it works.

Only thing it cannot control, the LEDs on the throttle...